Alyson Cabrera is a Partner in GRSM's Employment practice group. Alyson joined the firm in 2003 after completing a one-year post-graduate federal clerkship in the Northern District of California. She represents both private and public entities primarily in employment related matters including employment discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation, failure to accommodate claims and whistleblower actions. Alyson has represented a wide range of clients ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, while focusing a large portion of her employment litigation and labor practice on schools (K-12, Community Colleges, Universities, Professional Schools) and hospitals (adult, children, community-based and skilled nursing). She has also defended schools and hospitals against claims brought by students and patients under state and federal anti-discrimination laws as well as the state and federal Constitutions. Alyson regularly provides advice and counseling to client’s with a litigator’s eye, including advising clients about the risks associated with discipline and terminations, and in educating clients about the duty to engage in the interactive process and provision of reasonable disability-related accommodations.
Alyson has an extensive track record of success in law and motion having prevailed on numerous summary judgment motions in both state and federal court (including Santa Clara County, Alameda County, Contra Costa County, San Francisco County and the Northern District of California).She also enjoys trial work, and routinely arbitrates labor grievances with an emphasis on discipline and terminations. Alyson has also successfully argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Eastern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Prior to attending law school, Alyson worked for one year in Ghana, West Africa, where she volunteered with the International Federation of Women Lawyers to provide free legal aid for the benefit of indigent women and children.
- Alyson has been the standing coach of the University of California, Hastings College of the Law’s National Appellate Advocacy Competition team since 2002.
- In 2019, Alyson became the Co-Chair of the “UC Hasting’s Challenge” for GRSM.