Charles V. Berwanger is a partner and co-chair of the firm's Real Estate Practice Group. Mr. Berwanger specializes in real estate, land use, environmental and business dispute resolution and litigation. Mr. Berwanger’s real estate expertise includes resolving real estate disputes through mediation, litigation and appeals.
A sample of the types of matters Mr. Berwanger handles includes:
- Easement-related disputes including reciprocal parking easments; access easements; easement surcharge; and prescriptive easements.
- Environmental-related disputes involving the California Environmental Quality Act; the Clean Water Act and related statutes and regulations; and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and related statutes.
- Purchase and sale agreements and disputes arising out of them.
- Commercial leases and disputes arising out of them.
- Land use issues at the administrative and litigation phases.
- Coastal Act issues at the administrative and litigation phases.
- Negotiation of settlement agreements regarding development entitlements.
- Eminent domain matters on behalf of condemners and condemnees.
- Homeowner association disputes.
- Partnership disputes relating to real estate transactions.
- Earth movement and flood litigation.
Mr. Berwanger’s experience includes representing public agencies and property owners giving him a broad perspective and understanding of the dynamics of agencies and owners.
With substantial trial and appeal experience, Mr. Berwanger helps clients resolve their disputes with litigation as but one element to the dispute resolution process, the goal being cost effective dispute resolution.
In addition, Mr. Berwanger is a Deputy Special Prosecutor for the State Bar of California, and has served as a Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit from the United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
- California Supreme Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal, Fifth and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Central and Southern California Districts
- State Bar of California - Chairperson, Litigation Section; Real Property Section, Co-Chair
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers of San Diego, Chairperson
- City Ballet of San Diego, Board Member
- American Youth Hostels, Board Member
- San Diego County Bar Association, Legal Ethics Committee
- Deputy Special Prosecutor for the State Bar of California Enforcement Unit
- NCAA, Small College Tennis Champion
- San Diego River Park Foundation Board Member
- Wallace Inn of Court, Master and Treasurer
- Enright Inn of Court, Master
- Ethics Committee, San Diego Bar Association, Member
- Mount Soledad Memorial Association, Counsel
- NCCA Small College Tennis Championship Team Member