Justin M. Puleo is National Co–Chair of the Health Care Regulatory and Transactional Practice Group. His work focuses primarily in this area (see link above). He routinely manages corporate health care deals involving joint ventures and counsels health care providers to identify and resolve regulatory compliance issues in order to maintain business operations in the era of health reform. He is deeply knowledgeable in the areas of Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, Corporate Practice of Medicine, False Claims Act, HIPAA, Medicare Conditions of Participation, Certificate of Need, Joint Commission requirements, and OIG investigations, among other areas.
He has represented a broad spectrum of health care professionals and entities, including but not limited to: hospitals, health systems, management service organizations, long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities, home health agencies, hospices, federally qualified health centers, rural health centers, behavioral health facilities, physician practices, medical spas, ambulatory surgery centers, imaging facilities, solo physicians, and other health care providers. In addition to his focus on health law, Mr. Puleo is also a registered patent attorney and DRC Certified Mediator (inactive) and can identify issues for clients in these areas.
Mr. Puleo is a native of Pinehurst, North Carolina and comes from a family of health care providers. Both of his parents are physicians, his sister is a dentist, his aunt and sister-in-law are physician assistants, his grandmother was a nurse, and his grandfather was a veterinarian. His wife is a clinical research professional.
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission, Certified Mediator (inactive)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Health Law Section Leadership Council
- Triangle Intellectual Property Law Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Patriot Boot Camp, assisted in obtaining mentors and sponsorship for Chapel Hill event helping military families form startup companies, July 2015
- Judge, National High School Mock Trial Tournament, May 2015
- Alumnus Feature in UNC School of Law Pro Bono Program Newsletter for work as an HHS Certified Marketplace Navigator with Legal Aid of North Carolina, 2014
- Announcer, 7th Annual Bar Awards and Silent Auction, helped raise $53,000.00 to benefit Legal Aid of North Carolina, October 2014
- The Alexander Family YMCA, Hillsborough St. Raleigh, member since January 2013
- Raleigh Office Coordinator, Legal Aid Associate Drive, 2013
- Raleigh Office Co-Coordinator, United Way Campaign, 2012
- Clothing Drive Organizer, Young Lawyers Division, December, 2011
- Interviewer of applicants to Harvard College, Harvard Club of the Research Triangle, Fall 2010
- New Orleans Public Defenders, UNC School of Law Pro Bono Program, January 2010
- Vice President, Student Bar Association, 2010-11
- Full Blue, Oxford University Basketball Club, 2005-06
- Team National Championship, Harvard Heavyweight Crew, 2003 & 2005