Richard L. Green
- Business Transactions
- Intellectual Property
- Banking & Finance
- Cyber, Privacy & Data Security
- Technology Litigation
- Cannabis, Hemp & CBD
Rich Green is a partner of the firm who provides legal and business counsel to Global 2000 corporations, Wall Street banks, emerging companies and individual inventors in matters involving the sourcing, commercialization, use and protection of intellectual property, technology and technology-enabled products and services around the world. In addition to transactions, disputes and rights registration, Mr. Green assists clients in operational, governance and compliance matters with a particular emphasis on privacy and data security in regulated industries including the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards and SSAE-16 and AT 101 requirements.
Formerly serving as North American general counsel and corporate secretary for a publicly traded UK-based technology and business process outsourcing company, Mr. Green brings an insider's perspective to solving his clients' problems.
Mr. Green has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Technology Law since 2007. Best Lawyers is published by Best Lawyers in partnership with US News and World Report. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Mr. Green served as infantry squad leader in United States Marine Corps from 1987-1991.
Outsourcing, Sourcing, and Technology Procurement Transactions
Represents both customers and vendors in pre-bid planning, request for proposal strategy and drafting, and contract negotiation for all types of sole-source and competitive bid transactions, including onshore, nearshore, and offshore outsourcing of business processes.
IP and Technology Management, Protection, and Monetization
Works with clients to structure intellectual property protection programs to safeguard key technologies, as well as to identify candidate technologies and proprietary processes for potential commercialization.
Renewable and Alternative Energy Technology
Assists buyers, suppliers, developers, and financing parties in the commercial and intellectual property aspects of renewable and alternative energy technology transactions and investments in, among others, the wind, biomass, and gas-to-liquids fields.
Dispute Resolution and Workouts
Assists customers and vendors, employees and employers, and inventors and licensees in resolving disputes arising out of intellectual property, technology, sourcing and outsourcing contracts, and implementation projects.
E-Business and E-Commerce
Advises both customers and vendors in creating and executing Internet and other electronic business strategies, including web site development, co-branded and private label Internet sites, and search marketing, affiliation, and related electronic advertising.
Mergers and Acquisitions, Divestiture, and Investment
Assists buyers, sellers, investors, and targets in drafting, due diligence, and negotiation of the technology and intellectual property-related terms of corporate mergers, acquisitions, and investments.
University Technology Transfer
Works with start-up and emerging companies in commercializing technology transferred from colleges, universities, and research foundations; assists established companies across industries (including construction and building materials, biomedical, and information technology) in faculty consulting and sponsored research transactions
Publications & Presentations
Mr. Green writes regularly about outsourcing, e-commerce, intellectual property, and technology matters. A representative list of articles includes:
• EC to U.S.: The (Privacy Shield) Kids are Alright., M&E Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Alert (10/18/17)
• Over-Analyzed and Under-Protected: Cybersecurity Compliance is Actually Pretty Simple, JD Supra (06/01/17)
• New York Department of Financial Services Cybersecurity Regulations Take Effect, M&E Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Alert (03/03/17)
• It’s Time. Pick up the Shield., M&E Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Alert (07/27/16)
• Shield, Sword or Plough Ahead? Approval of New EU Privacy Shield Forces a Decision, M&E Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Alert (07/21/16)
• Fourth Circuit Finds Insurer Must Defend Data Breach Claims Against Its Insured Under Its Standard CGL Policy, M&E Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Alert (04/13/16)
• There's Light at the End of the EU Safe Harbor Tunnel, and It's (Probably) Not an Oncoming Train, M&E Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Alert (02/3/16)
• Keep Calm and Data Transfer On (… mostly … for now), M&E Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Alert, M&E Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Alert (10/06/15)
• New Jersey Makes Itself Business Friendly, M&E Corporate, Securities, and Financial Institutions Alert (04/05/13)
• RETAILERS BEWARE: Common Credit Card and Marketing Data Collection Practices Could Violate Law, M&E Data Privacy Alert (03/15/13)
• Data Security Obligations Continue to Tighten Under New HIPAA Rules, M&E Data Security Alert (01/17/13)
• Patent Reform is Here. What Does it Mean For You?, M&E IP/IT Alert (09/19/11)
• Appeals Court Decides Important Life Sciences Case: Classen Immunotherapies, Inc. V. Biogen Idec, et al., M&E IP/IT Alert (09/06/11)
• U.S. Supreme Court Upends Bayh-Dole -- Federal Contractors and Grant Recipients Must Tie Up Employee Inventions or Risk Losing Right to Retain Ownership of Inventions Developed With Federal Funds, M&E IP/IT // Government Contracts Alert (07/18/11)
• Federal Circuit Redefines The Standard For Proving Inequitable Conduct As A Defense To Patent Infringement, M&E IP/IT Alert (05/02/11)
• Privacy Rules: What Do I Need to Know?, Gordon & Rees Legal Education Conference, New York and Hartford (May 2019)
• Cloud Computing: Contracting Nuts & Bolts, New York In-House Counsel Meetup (04/26/17)
• Mind the Gap: IP Protection for Software After Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank International, The New England Chapter of the Copyright Society of the United States and the Boston Patent Law Association (04/13/17)
• Compliance Roundtable, National Compliance Services and Regulatory Compliance (12/09/15)
• If You Build It (Right), They Will Come: A Master Workshop on Contracting, SIG Executive Immersion Program (06/19/15)
• 2nd Annual International Contracts Forum, Boston Chapter of the National Contract Management Association (NCMA) (01/22/15)
• Data Security in Cloud Transactions: Contracting Nuts & Bolts, Race to the Finish Line: McCarter & English December CLE Series (Philadelphia) (12/10/14)
• Data Security in Cloud Transactions: Contracting Nuts & Bolts, Race to the Finish Line: McCarter & English December CLE Series (Newark) (12/03/14)
• Regulation S-ID: Identity Theft Red Flag Rules: Going Beyond a Simple Identify Theft Program – What Else is Involved?, NRS 29th Annual Fall Investment Adviser & Broker-Dealer Compliance Conference (11/12/14)
• Meeting the Cybersecurity Challenge, National Regulatory Services (07/10/14)
• Cloud Computing in Healthcare: Mitigating Privacy Risks and Negotiating Business Associate Agreements, Strafford Live Webinar (06/11/14)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
J.D., University of Connecticut School of Law
B.A., summa cum laude, English, Central Connecticut State University
The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Technology Law since 2007