Stephen J. Orlando
- Commercial Litigation
- Professional Liability Defense
- Employment Law
Stephen J. Orlando is a trial attorney in the Boston office of GRSM. He represents clients in complex commercial disputes and significant personal injury claims. In addition to his defense practice, Mr. Orlando has obtained substantial jury verdicts on behalf of plaintiffs. In 2022, Mr. Orlando obtained a $1.4 million verdict on behalf of his client. In 2019, he obtained a $10.6 million verdict on behalf of his client. In both cases, Mr. Orlando obtained a court order for the opposing party to pay his client’s legal fees and expenses.
Mr. Orlando has also drafted and argued appeals in the Massachusetts Appeals Court, Supreme Judicial Court, and Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Mr. Orlando graduated summa cum laude from Suffolk University Law School, where he ranked seventh out of 350 students. During law school, he served as a Note Editor for the Suffolk University Law Review. He was also a member of the National Trial Team, National Constitutional Law Appellate Team, and National Health Law Appellate Team.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Orlando obtained degrees in Philosophy and Health Policy from Providence College.
Mr. Orlando’s trial experience includes the following:
- 2023: Successfully defended client against multi-million dollar claim for breach of employment contract and violation of ERISA.
- 2023: Obtained directed verdict for client in lawsuit alleging violations of M.G.L. c. 93A and Attorney General Regulations.
- 2022: Won $1.4 million verdict, including an award for client’s legal fees, in a commercial eviction dispute.
- 2021: Defended client against $150,000 claim for breach of contract.
- 2020: Represented homeowners in multi-million dollar lawsuit against an international corporation.
- 2019: Won $10.6 million verdict following a two-week jury trial, including an award for punitive damages and attorney’s fees.
- 2017: Obtained defense verdict in multi-million dollar wrongful death lawsuit following three-week jury trial.
- 2017: Obtained defense verdict in medical malpractice / wrongful death lawsuit.
In addition to his trial experience, Mr. Orlando has repeatedly defeated lawsuits against his clients through successful dispositive motions. His experience includes:
- 2022: Obtained summary judgment for client in $550,000 claim for profession malpractice, breach of contract, and violation of M.G.L. c. 93A.
- 2022: Obtained dismissal of Complaint, filed in United States District Court, alleging violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- 2021: Prevailed on motion to dismiss Complaint alleging civil rights violation.
- 2020: Defeated $700,000 claim for professional malpractice through successful motion for summary judgment.
Finally, Mr. Orlando has litigated appeals in the Massachusetts Appeals Court, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, and Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. In 2023, Mr. Orlando obtained a First Circuit decision affirming dismissal of a Complaint filed against his client in the United States District Court.
Publications & Presentations
Avoid Delay or Get Ready to Pay: The Risks of “Time-is-of-the-Essence” Clauses, GRSM Construction Blog (August 10, 2018)
The Doctor Will See You For the Last Time Now: Physician-Assisted Suicide in Massachusetts, 46 Suffolk U. L. Rev. 243, Suffolk University Law Review (February 2013)
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
Massachusetts Bar Association – Business Law Section Council (2019-2020)
J.D., summa cum laude, Suffolk University Law School, 2013
- Suffolk University Law Review, Note Editor (2011 - 2013)
- National Trial Team (2011 - 2013)
- National Constitutional Law Appellate Team (2011 - 2013)
- National Health Law Appellate Team (2011)
- Prosecutor’s Clinic (2012 - 2013)
B.S., Health Policy and Management, Providence College, 2010
B.A., Philosophy, Providence College, 2010
Best Lawyers in America® Ones to Watch distinction in Commercial Litigation (2021-2024)
Super Lawyers Rising Star (2018-2022)