Tom Cronin is a partner in Gordon & Rees’s Chicago office and has tried and mediated cases to favorable resolutions throughout Illinois. His practice focuses on product liability, construction and construction defect, design professionals, commercial and residential real estate transactions and litigation, medical malpractice, and personal injury.
Some highlights of Mr. Cronin's work include:
• Obtained a Not Guilty result on behalf of a Chicago property management company and its Board of Directors in a lawsuit filed by a condominium resident following a bench trial in Cook County, Illinois;
• Obtained a defense verdict following trial in Cook County, Illinois, on behalf of a property owner and two property management companies in a lawsuit alleging negligence, violation of the implied warranty of habitability, and violation of the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act where the plaintiff claimed injury and damages as a result of exposure to mold;
• Obtained a favorable verdict as lead attorney on behalf of a large product manufacturing company in a premises liability case following a two-week trial in Lake County, Illinois, where the plaintiff asked the jury for an award of nearly $2 million;
• Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a deck manufacturing company in a construction injury case in Cook County, Illinois, where two workers were catastrophically injured as a result of a multi-story deck collapse and where the remaining defendants eventually settled for more than $6 million;
• Successfully defended a motion control product design and manufacture client in a high profile lawsuit in Cook County, Illinois where the decedent was killed as the result of an alleged golf cart malfunction and where the settlement demand was in excess of $18 million;
• Obtained summary judgment, including payment of significant damages and an award of attorney fees, on behalf of a professional baseball player in a residential real estate lawsuit in Cook County, Illinois;
• Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a residential property management company in a class action lawsuit brought under the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (“RLTO”) that involved over 1,000 units and liability in excess of $5 million;
• Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a Chicago property management company in a breach of contract lawsuit filed by a former tenant in Cook County, Illinois;
• Obtained a Not Guilty finding on behalf of a large law firm in a wrongful termination claim brought by its former employee before the Chicago Commission on Human Relations;
• Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national retail beverage chain and several of its employees in a wrongful termination lawsuit filed in Cook County, Illinois;
• Obtained a Not Guilty verdict following a one-week trial in Kane County, Illinois, in a dental malpractice lawsuit;
• Facilitated the contract negotiation and sale of a 10 acre commercial property warehouse in DuPage County, Illinois;
• Represented a client physician and cancer treatment center in a lawsuit in Cook County, Illinois where the plaintiff suffered an above-knee amputation of her leg following alleged over-radiation treatment; and
• Successfully defended an over the road trucking and transportation client in a lawsuit in Cook County, Illinois where the plaintiff was severely injured as a result of multiple steel I-beams toppling on top of him as he was securing a load.
In 2018, Mr. Cronin was selected as one of the “40 Under Forty” Illinois attorneys to watch by the Law Bulletin Media, publishers of Chicago Lawyer magazine and the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin. There were over 1,200 attorneys in Illinois who were nominated by their peers to be considered for the honor.
Mr. Cronin's trial experience pre-dates his admission to the Illinois Bar, as he obtained several Guilty verdicts in the Cook County Felony Trial Division while working for the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office in law school pursuant to a Supreme Court Rule 711 license.
Aside from his litigation and transactional experience, Mr. Cronin has authored articles relating to construction and real estate law. He has also presented on standards of law and trends with respect to design professional liability, real estate, and construction. A complete list of Mr. Cronin's publications and presentations can be found on the next tab.
Supreme Court of the State of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
Chicago Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association