GRSM’s Insurance Group has an established record of success in representing insurers across the country in connection with primary and excess general liability matters. Whether providing coverage advice or litigating cutting-edge general liability claims, our attorneys apply a focused approach to implement efficient and effective strategies that meet not only short-term litigation goals, but, most importantly, the clients’ long-term business goals. The Insurance Group represents insurers across the entire spectrum of general liability claims including:
- Bodily Injury and Property Damage
- Personal and Advertising Injury
- “Bad Faith” litigation
- Primary and Excess issues
- Independent counsel and defense cost reimbursement
- Cyber-liability, data breach, and privacy claims
- Long-tail claims
- Toxic tort, environmental, and construction matters
- Lost policy issues
- Policy limits and allocation disputes
- Additional insured issues
- Rescission and reformation claims
Representative General Liability insurance matters include:
- Summary judgment in favor of insurer against national retailer that underlying class actions for civil penalties under consumer protection statute does not seek potentially covered damages and therefore does not trigger duty to defend or indemnify.
- Successful re-trial and reversal of prior trial result against an excess insurer on the duty to pay defense costs in addition to limits after discovery of additional umbrella policies insured failed to disclose to insurer.
- Successful bench trial result on interpretation of unique policy language, including self-insured retention and deductible requirements, in complex multi-policy, multi-party coverage dispute.
- Defense verdict for insurer against individual seeking multiple millions for “default” judgment in environmental contamination coverage case.
- Buss reimbursement award for defense costs paid after defeating bad faith and coverage claims.
- Jury verdict and multi-million dollar judgment on behalf of insurer against its insured for insurance fraud, along with a criminal restitution order against the same insured.