Thomas B. Quinn
- Health Care
- Commercial Litigation
- Class Action
- Product & General Liability
Tom Quinn is an experienced trial lawyer having taken more than 60 trials to verdict. Mr. Quinn's trial and litigation experience includes numerous health care matters, fraud and abuse, antitrust, government claims, regulatory disputes, employment, product defect, auto products, deceptive trade, defamation and professional negligence disputes.
Mr. Quinn has served as a speaker to members of the bench and bar on trial strategies, jury selection, government investigation response and ethics. Mr. Quinn has also addressed trade groups on entity organization concepts, governmental compliance and litigation response and management.
Mr. Quinn has served by appointment on the Colorado Supreme Court's Committee on Civil Jury Instructions (2002-2015).
Mr. Quinn is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Mr. Quinn is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Represented media company and entertainment figures in 2020 election fraud and defamation cases.
- Represented Au Pair Sponsor in nationwide class action alleging $4 billion in damages alleging antitrust; RICO, FLSA and state wage and hour violations.
- Represented United States Taekwondo Association in a class action brought by female athletes alleging sexual assault against USAT and co-defendant United States Olympic Committee.
- Represented a healthcare entity in a False Claims Act lawsuit brought by the Department of Justice and the Colorado Attorney General alleging in facility-wide worthless services. The case was favorably resolved without the implementation of a corporate integrity agreement or the surrender of any operating licenses.
- Represented a national healthcare management company and defeated the class certification petition alleging fraud and worthless services.
- Multiple representations of senior living providers to verdict including claims of abuse and neglect, infection, malnutrition, fall, assault, deliberate indifference, ulcer and death.
- Defense of defamation case brought by state inspector (Department of Health) against long term care provider to verdict.
- Defeated class certification in staffing, regulatory compliance and personal damages case brought against 27 nursing homes.
- National Counsel for manufacturer of pain pumps in class actions, state multi-district consolidations and individual plaintiff lawsuits.
- Represented energy services company in multiple trade secret violation lawsuits arising out of alleged theft of equipment design claims.
- Defended wrongful death case alleging product defect against tire manufacturer to verdict.
- Represented a mining equipment manufacturer and received summary judgment in a case alleging product defect against mobile mining equipment.
- Represented a national bank in breach of trust litigation and obtained summary judgment resulting in complete dismissal of the lawsuit.
- Represented a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in mass tort litigation, both as national and regional counsel, and received multiple dismissals without payment of settlement monies.
- Represented lawyers and law firms in claims alleging legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud, including multiple jury verdicts.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in wrongful death lawsuit where it was alleged that an anti-depressant medication caused the decedent's suicide.
- GDHI Marketing LLC v. Antsel Marketing LLC, et al., 416 F.Supp.3d 1189 (D. Colo. 2019)
- Beltran v. AuPairCare, Inc., 907 F.3d 1240 (10th Cir. 2018)
- Hawg Tools, LLC v. Newsco Int'l Energy Servs., __ Fed. Appx. __, No. 18-1015, 2018 U.S. App. LEXIS 35377 (10th Cir. Dec. 18, 2018)
- Hawg Tools, LLC v. Newsco Int'l Energy Servs., 411 P.3d 1126 (Colo. App. 2016)
- Kindred Healthcare Operating, Inc. v. Boyd, 403 P.3d 1014 (Wyo. 2017)
- Larson v. Larson, 687 F. App'x 695 (10th Cir. 2017)
- Meeks v. SSC Colo. Springs Colonial Columns Operating Co., LLC, 380 P.3d 126 (Colo. 2016)
- In re Griffith v. SSC Pueblo Belmont Operation Co. LLC, 381 P.3d 308 (Colo. 2016)
- Beltran v. InterExchange, Inc., 176 F. Supp. 3d 1066 (D. Colo. 2016)
- Wake v. SSC Greeley Centennial Operating Co., Ltd. Liab. Co., 991 F. Supp. 2d 1143 (D. Colo. 2013)
- Reigel v. SavaSeniorCare L.L.C., 292 P.3d 977 (Colo. Ct. App. 2011)
- Sawyer v. Kindred Nursing Ctrs. W., Ltd. Liab. Co., 225 P.3d 1161 (Colo. Ct. App. 2009)
- Crowe v. Tull, 126 P.3d 196 (Colo. 2006)
- Paoloni v. Goldstein, 331 F. Supp. 2d 1310 (D. Colo. 2004)
- Neiberger v. Hawkins, 239 F. Supp. 2d 1140 (D. Colo. 2002)
- Neiberger v. Hawkins, 208 F.R.D. 301 (D. Colo. 2002)
- Sussman v. Stoner, 143 F. Supp. 2d 1232 (D. Colo. 2001)
- Salas v. Grancare, Inc., 22 P.3d 568 (Colo. Ct. App. 2001)
- Smith v. Mehaffy, 30 P.3d 727 (Colo. Ct. App. 2000)
- In re Porter McLeod, 196 F.R.D. 389 (D. Colo. 2000)
- PM Denver, Inc. v. Porter (In re Porter McLeod, Inc.), 231 B.R. 786 (D. Colo. 1999)
- Kohn v. Am. Hous. Found., Inc., 178 F.R.D. 536 (D. Colo. 1998)
- Frontier Ref. v. Gorman-Rupp Co., 136 F.3d 695 (10th Cir. 1998)
- Mason v. Adams, 961 P.2d 540 (Colo. Ct. App. 1997)
- Kohn v. Am. Hous. Found. I, 170 F.R.D. 474 (D. Colo. 1996)
- Easton v. 1738 P'ship, 854 P.2d 1362 (Colo. Ct. App. 1993)
- CNA Ins. Cos. v. Berndt, 839 P.2d 492 (Colo. Ct. App. 1992)
Publications & Presentations
Mr. Quinn has authored articles on topics such as attorney related privileges, healthcare, medical devices, and deceptive trade practices, including:
- Product Liability Desk Reference — A Fifty State Compendium, Chapter, Colorado Product Liability Law, Aspen Publishers (2003 — 2022)
- Tort Law Desk Reference — A Fifty State Compendium (2019 — 2022)
- Generic Drugs and Preemption, American Conference Institute, Drug and Medical Device Litigation (December 10, 2009)
- Implied Waiver of the Attorney-Client Privilege, Chapter, The Attorney-Client Privilege. The DRI Defense Library Series (2002)
- Work Product in Subsequent Litigation: The Tenth Circuit Enters the Fray, Colorado Lawyer (July 1998)
- Curbing the Erosion of the Attorney/Client Privilege and Attorney Work Product Immunity, For the Defense (July 1998)
- Law of Indemnity in Wyoming: Unraveling the Confusion, 31 Land and Water Law Review (1996)
Mr. Quinn frequently speaks on litigation related topics to peer groups including the Defense Research Institute, Colorado Bar Association, and International Association of Defense Counsel. His presentations include:
- Health Care Data Breaches Triggering OCR Investigations, Penalties and Third-Party Exposure, GRSM Legal Education Conference, New York, NY (May 2023)
- Health Care Data Breaches Triggering OCR Investigations, Penalties and Third-Party Exposure, GRSM Legal Education Conference, Hartford, CT (May 2023)
- Recent Trends and Hot Button Issues in Health Care Law, GRSM Legal Education Conference, New York and Hartford (May 2019)
- Long-Term Care Forum – March and July 2017, 2019 Conferences, Las Vegas, Nevada and Chicago, Illinois
- Medical Malpractice Cases – Practical Advice and Winning Strategies – Voir Dire, Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc., Denver, Colorado (March 2013)
- Conflict and Waiver Answer in Long Term Care, Defense Research Institute, Nursing Home/ALF Litigation Annual Seminar (September, 2005)
- Long-Term Care Litigation in the United States, The Underwriters at Lloyds of London, London, England (July, 2001)
- Selected Litigation Issues Related to Long-Term Health Care; and
- Failure to Warn and the Abbreviated New Drug Application, Defense of Generic Pharmaceuticals, International Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Whistler, B.C. Canada (July 1999)
- Defense of Nursing Home Class Action Lawsuits, American Health Care Association Legal Defense Conference, Chicago, Illinois (November 1998)
- Work Product Privilege in Subsequent Litigation, International Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, San Diego, California (July 1998)
- Over Promotion and Off-Label Use of Generic Pharmaceuticals, National Pharmaceutical Alliance, Mid-Winter Meeting, Tucson, Arizona (February 1998)
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States District Court, District of Wyoming
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- IADC Trial Academy Faculty
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Colorado and Wyoming Bar Associations
J.D., University of Wyoming Law School
B.S., Economics, University of Wyoming
“Best of the Bar” (Denver Business Journal)
BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star (2022)
Best Lawyers in America® distinction in Legal Malpractice Law – Defendants (2011-2024), Litigation – Health Care (2019-2024), Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants (2017-2024), Product Liability Litigation – Defendants (2015-2024)
Best Lawyers in America® "Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation - Health Care (2020, 2023)
Best Trial Lawyers in America distinction
Super Lawyers® distinction in the fields of Civil Litigation Defense, Business Litigation and Health Care
“Top 100 Colorado Lawyers“ (Super Lawyers®)
Top Rated Lawyer-AV® Preeminent™,