GRSM counsels and defends a large number of insurers in suits and arbitrations involving breach of contract and bad faith claims arising out of life, disability, health, and long term care insurance, as well as annuities, pension plans and retirement plans. Our lawyers have a record of success under both abuse of discretion and de novo review to denials of disability claims. We have also achieved numerous favorable settlements of benefits claims and high exposure breach of fiduciary duty claims.
GRSM is proud to be named to “The Select List of Law Firms for the Defense in Life, Health & Disability Insurance” compiled by Res Loquitor Corporation. To qualify for the list, law firms are evaluated by at least five life and health insurance companies and the results must place a firm among the top one-third of all law firms. GRSM has been included in the prestigious list since 2007.
Our Life, Health & Disability attorneys have extensive experience representing the industry’s largest insurers in connection with a wide spectrum of claims including:
- Sales Practices Class Actions based on RICO and California Business & Professions Code § 17200, including extensive e-discovery relating to financial products including annuities
- Disputes arising out of alleged misrepresentation or fraud, including related remedies such as rescission
- Interpleader and related actions to resolve coverage issues, such as beneficiary disputes (including application of slayer statutes)
- Vicarious liability suits involving alleged broker-dealer or agent malpractice
- FINRA investigations and arbitrations
- Premium financing litigation
- Stranger-owned life insurance ("STOLI") disputes
- Regulatory disputes and related litigation, including Department of Insurance and Attorney General claims against insurers
- Financial elder abuse claims
- Incontestability disputes based upon concealment or fraud
- Life settlement claims
- Long term care insurance litigation