Nancy M. Erfle
- Product & General Liability
- Drug & Medical Device
- Environmental/Toxic Tort
- Commercial Litigation
- Trucking & Transportation
- Automotive Litigation & Autonomous Vehicles
Gordon & Rees partner Nancy M. Erfle is a member of the Tort & Product Liability Litigation and Drug & Medical Device practice groups and currently serves on the firm’s Executive Committee. Her practice is focused on litigation, specifically the defense of manufacturers in the area of automotive, heavy equipment, toxic tort and medical exposures. Ms. Erfle has served on national litigation teams and as lead local and regional counsel for manufacturing, pharmaceutical and medical device clients on many cases, including several mass tort cases. Currently she is serving as National Trial and Coordination Counsel for a supplier of raw materials in litigation pending in multiple state and federal courts throughout the country. Ms. Erfle also has class action experience in both consumer fraud and securities matters. She has extensive state and federal court jury trial experience, defending her clients in all types of product liability claims throughout the country.
Ms. Erfle was the IADC Trial Academy Director for the 2019 Trial Academy for the International Association of Defense Counsel, which was held at Stanford University Law School. She served as Director-Elect for 2018 and was a member of the teaching faculty in 2007. She also serves as an adjunct professor for Lewis & Clark Law School’s Aviation Seminar.
Ms. Erfle was selected as a Law360 2017 Product Liability MVP, one of only five attorneys in the nation to receive that recognition. She was recognized among the leading practitioners in the county in the 2019 edition of Chambers USA for her defense of pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, automotive manufacturers, agricultural chemical manufacturers, aviation manufacturers, as well as companies involved in commercial disputes. In 2004, Ms. Erfle was selected as a recipient of The Portland Business Journal’s “Forty Under 40” Award, an honor which recognizes the 40 most accomplished, influential, and civic-minded young executives in Portland. Since 2006, Ms. Erfle has been named an Oregon “Super Lawyer” by Law & Politics magazine, a peer-elected distinction bestowed upon only the top five percent of all attorneys in the state of Oregon. In 2007, she was named one of the “100 Most Powerful Women” by Northwest Women’s Journal. Ms. Erfle has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2010 for her work in Product Liability Litigation and named an Oregon Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation. Since 2012 she has been consistently named in the Top 250 Women in American Litigation by Benchmark Litigation.
- Fox, Missouri (St. Louis, 2016),
- Ristesund, Missouri (St. Louis), 2016
- Gianecchini, Missouri (St. Louis), 2016
- Daniels, Missouri (St. Louis), 2016
- Echevveria, California (Los Angeles), 2017
- Lewis, Washington (Pierce County), 2019
- Since 2014, Ms. Erfle has been National Trial and Coordination Counsel for a raw materials supplier. In 2016 she tried the first three of those matters to verdict with favorable result for the client.
- Served on numerous trial teams throughout the Northwest for a respiratory manufacturing client.
- Tried two antitrust matters to successful verdicts for her clients.
- Served as a member of a national team on behalf of a global pharmaceutical company in mass tort cases – one involving a combined oral contraceptive and the other involving an anti-cholesterol drug.
- Defended a transport helicopter company involved in a crash which resulted in multiple wrongful death and injury claims. The multiple matters resolved in a successful settlement for the client.
- Serves as regional product liability counsel for a major automotive manufacturer.
- Defended an automotive manufacturer who designed and manufactured a 15-passenger van involved in a rollover accident which resulted in multiple death and injury claims. These matters were successfully settled for the client.
- Obtained a complete dismissal from dozens of lawsuits for a global pharmaceutical company involved in the pain-pump litigation.
- Successfully defended a pharmaceutical client in a securities fraud matter.
Publications & Presentations
Why Courts Should Exclude Warning, "Untitled," and Advisory Letters, December 26, 2012
Learning to Live With Electronic Data Recorders, November 4, 2008
Chinese Products, American Lawsuits: Where Do We Go From Here?, October 11, 2007
HIPAA and Ex Parte Physician Contact: Procedural Hurdles, April 12, 2006
Defending Mass Torts and Products Liability Lawsuits, Gordon & Rees Legal Education Conference, New York and Hartford (May 2019)
The High-Tech Trial, The IADC Annual Meeting, Maui, Hawaii (July 11, 2013)
Distracted Driving — What Are Your Jurors Thinking, and What Will the Plaintiffs Come Up With Next? ACI’s 6th Annual Summit on Defending and Managing Automotive Product Liability Litigation (June 6–7, 2013)
Oregon Trial Practice: Emerging Trends and Multi-Jurisdictional Disputes, Oregon State Bar Products Liability, Litigation and Aviation Sections, Portland, OR(October 5, 2012)
Trial and Jury Strategy: Harnessing the Power of Social Media to Your Advantage When Gearing Up for an Auto Products Liability Trial, American Conference Institute Auto Product Liability Conference, Chicago, IL (June 26-27, 2012)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
U.S. District Court, District of Montana
International Association of Defense Attorneys (IADC), Board of Directors
Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC), sustaining member
Defense Research Institute
American Bar Association, Litigation Section
Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
Professional & Community Activities
Ms. Erfle is a sustaining member of the Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC), and the Defense Research Institute. She is a past member of the International Association of Defense Counsel’s Board of Directors. She is also a member of the Litigation section for the American Bar Association, the Oregon, Washington and Montana State Bars, and Oregon Association of Defense Counsel. She is a past member of the Oregon Board of Bar Examiners and the past President of the Young Lawyers Section of the Multnomah Bar Association. Ms. Erfle is also a past member of the Young Lawyers Section Pro-Bono Committee and the Volunteer Lawyers Project Board of Directors. She most recently has served on the Site Counsel for East/West Sylvan Middle School.
While enrolled at Rocky Mountain College, Ms. Erfle served as President of the Associated Students and received the President’s Cup as the outstanding graduate, as well as the Dean’s Cup (co-valedictorian).
J.D., cum laude, Willamette University College of Law, 1990
B.S., summa cum laude, Rocky Mountain College, 1987
Chambers USA, Product Liability and Mass Torts (Nationwide)
BTI Client Service All-Star for 2018
Law360 Product Liability MVP, 2017
Super Lawyers® distinction in the fields of Personal Injury Defense: Products, Antitrust Litigation, and Business Litigation, (2006-2007, 2011-2020)
100 Most Powerful Women, Northwest Women's Journal, 2007
Forty Under 40 Award, The Portland Business Journal, 2004
The Best Lawyers in America© distinction in Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, (2011-2021)
Oregon Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation, (2010-2013)
Top 250 Women in American Litigation, Benchmark Litigation, (2012 - 2017)
Top Rated Lawyer-AV® Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell